It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:02 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
what to do now
 Post subject: Re: what to do now
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:46 pm 

Stupid idea - although you've proved the coils by multi-meter, try unscrewing the plug caps off the HT leads and snipping 1/4" off the ends of the leads and re-fit plug caps. Don't try and disturb the HT at the coil end - they won't go back!

Do one first and try a new plug.

Profile E-mail  

what to do now
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:49 pm 

bit too late for that, i took out the cable from the coil end to find moisture and rusty cable ends, snipped off 1/4 put back in check continuity afterwards to prove cable works all good.

what to do now
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:40 am 

i would now say go back to basics, get the carbs off and blow out all the jets and make sure the floats are all ok and dont fill up with fuel, and also some fresh fuel. also when checking for a spark "rub" the plug on top of the engine so its against bare metal on top of the engine when checking for a spark!!

what to do now
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:52 am 

here is some advice on how to check for sparks from over on the mk1 forum

"To check for spark remove the HT lead and wedge a screwdriver (not too hard) so that it can spark to the chassis, step away from the car as it can jump onto you and it hurts, believe me you'll only do it once "

please dont do this the man is a moron. but it makes me smile to think he sees this as good advice and may one day blow himself up.

what to do now
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:51 am 

hahahha that is mental! i have always just rested my plugs on top of the engine after rubbing a bit of paint off, hit the starter and then you can see the spark! i have however made the mistake of holding one and hitting starter button :oops: :lol:

what to do now
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:11 am 

haven't we all at some point.

sorry for that little tangent. back on thread now.

what to do now
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:24 am 

For all the will in the world without spark a petrol engine isn't going to fire. A carb strip and clean isn't going to produce a spark either.

The fact that there's power to the coils and no sparks points to the ECU/ ignition side of the bike. The state to the HT leads at the coils would have an effect also on the supply of power to the spark plugs.

It does look like a few bits need swapping to produce a spark and then hopefully the bike will run.

Can any body help with a ECU/coils to help solve this bikes non running problem?

what to do now
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:30 am 

yorkshirepuddin wrote:
bit too late for that, i took out the cable from the coil end to find moisture and rusty cable ends, snipped off 1/4 put back in check continuity afterwards to prove cable works all good.

from this i understand there will be a spark as new plugs have also been put in??? but i could be wrong and there could be a fault in the actual plug cap which i doubt as it is one piece of metal that connects it to the lead and plug, thus turning my mind to fuel as he ran out before the problem started it could be just down to simple fuel starvation from a blocked jet????

unless your with the bike and checking it yourself its really a "try this or that" game really

what to do now
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:59 am 

yorkshirepuddin wrote:

Did you get a spark after doing that?

what to do now
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:09 pm 

---------
the coil and wire on RF's are sealed together how did you get it out of the coil. i failed when i tried.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next