It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:03 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Water cooling system
 Post subject: Water cooling system
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:34 am 

I'm using my head so stealing a bit of RF knowledge to be able to work on a Gixxer here.

I have an over heating bike. I'm working on the concept that its the thermostat thats gone and thats why the PO has added an extra fan. The bike doesn't loose any water just gets overly hot. Looking at the parts diagrams the thermostat is the same for a Srad as an RF6 and RF9 so I'm guessing that the internal parts are similar.

Water pump is another though also.

What else could have gone wrong?

Cheers.

Water cooling system
 Post subject: Re: Water cooling system
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:02 am 

is the water getting through the cooler alright? may have a few runs blocked....try flushing it out or something.....

i could be talking rubbish as im used to oil cooled motors but its a thought anywho :)

Water cooling system
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:10 am 

Hey suzukib you and me alike. This is the first water cooled bike I've seriously worked on so I'm clutching at straws at present.

There's no air locks in the system just a it runs very hot. No sign of a head gasket being gone so all I can guess is a thermostat or a pump failure.

Have to admit I don't even know where the thermostat is on this bike. :roll:

Water cooling system
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:34 am 

Suzukib has covered it i think, coolant systems are very simple animals.. theres not a lot to go wrong.

I would bet on blockage somewhere or failing that the water pump isnt running.

If it was the thermostat it wouldnt make it run hot, unless its closed all the time.. just remove it and see what happens.

It could also be something as simple as the temp sender being knackered though.

Water cooling system
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:32 pm 

Temperature sender. Not though of that.

When the lad bought the bike it ran at about 100 degree's and was well down on power for a 600. He change the water (well he's a plumber) and the temperature came down to 80 degree. We haven't tried it without the extra fan yet but thats been wired in to work all the time that the ignition is on.

So something is not reading the tempertaure which would suggest a thermostat or something that makes the pump pump or the radiator fan is not switching on when it gets to the right tempertaure, hence the over heating.

I've been told by a local garage that very occasionally the impeller come off the shaft so it may not be pumping water at all.

I'I work down the list till I can't do any more then I will send him to the garage.

Anyone got a spare thermostat?

Water cooling system
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:18 pm 

I might have one, give a couple of hours to dig round.

Any use? -

how-to-test-your-fan-switch-t1015.html

Profile E-mail  

Water cooling system
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:39 am 

Well I've found the problem.....

The PO has removed all the wires to the two electricals in the thermostat housing and wired the fan direct to a switch. So I'm guessing that one failed and he bypassed the system. They look very much like they've crudded up and in there. Try and get them out or a second hand thermostat unit complete?

Then its find the original wires that were used is going to be fun.

Water cooling system
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:15 am 

A soak in some Plus Gas and 10 minutes in a hot oven should warm up the alloy stat housing enough for them to come out :)

What model Gixxer is it?

Profile E-mail  

Water cooling system
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:28 am 

600 SRAD Fastfitter. Its on a 'P' reg so 1997, its a carb model not injection.

The thermostat is on the left side of the bike heading down towards the water pump. As for wires....... I can't see any at all.

As a side note, I've looked at the RF manual and the gixxer has one electrical in there, the temperature gauge, and the fan switch is mounted on the side of the radiator so the thermostat housings are different.

Thermostat 17670-32C01 Same as a RF600R and RS
Gauge switch 34850-33E00 Not listed for an RF
Fan switch 17680-33E00 Not listed for an RF.

Water cooling system
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:53 pm 

---------
Bog standard Suzuki wiring -

Orange/Yellow feed to fan then Black/Red to thermo switch. Switch closes putting Black/White earth on and fan spins.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next