It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:35 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Vibrating RF
 Post subject: Vibrating RF
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:00 pm 

Hi dudes! Well after a shocking 6 weeks in the UK, I finally got back to Spain with the RF9. Lovely bike with only 7.5K on the clock and full history. Just a bit crispy in places where it's been sitting a while. The full horror story of my visit to the UK will follow in another thread. Anyways, I'm on my merry way down through France and just as I reach Bordeaux, the RF starts vibrating, quite nastily too. Definately a carb problem methinks as the vibration only really kicks in once the engine's warm.
I limped home to Spain at 60mph and now I have the issue of taking the carbs off to inspect them. Any initial thought as to what to look for? Split diaphragm, blocked jet? Any advice would be useful before I pull the bike apart. :(

Vibrating RF
 Post subject: Re: Vibrating RF
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:20 pm 

The RF9 has a vibration problem between 5k and 6.5k rpm,mine isnt too bad for it but i have heard of many that can even cause white fingers and pain..

If thats the range you get it then apart from balancing the carbs and heavy bar end weights im afraid your gonna have to live with it m8.

Vibrating RF
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:03 pm 

yes i agree with neil on this one as i mentioned it to him i had only had the bike 7 days or so
and my fingers went numb pins ans needles i tested the theory and kept it below the rev range fine go above it and fine

so i come to same conclusion hi gear low revs low gear higher revs its fine now unless im in that range too long

Regards Russ & Lisa

Vibrating RF
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:35 pm 

i put in a K&N air filter a couple of weeks ago and my vibration went to minimal ( not noticable at all )
its expensive way to find out ... has yours got a K&N filter fitted ?
if so then up $hit creek without a paddle/clue (thats me ) stumped if you have

Regards Russ & Lisa

Vibrating RF
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:48 pm 

I had the vibrations also.
Once I fitted the ignition advancer, they reduced significantly !

Maybe worth trying. And if you have the K&N and dynojet, you get a more responsive engine

Royster

Vibrating RF
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:35 am 

I used to suffer a bit from the vibes on the 900 if sat on the motorway at 6000 revs (90mph). Since fitting the risers and straights this has disappeared completely despite the new set-up only having kiddy light-weight bar-end weights (in purple of course) just to block the ends of the bars off.

Profile E-mail  

Vibrating RF
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:55 pm 

Maybe it's the handle bar mounting plate thats at fault? The bolts need to be a set torque? I think FF has removed his?

Vibrating RF
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:58 pm 

yep ...

i removed the dummy top yoke/bar holder and bolted risers through it's mounting holes using the original rubber cushions and washers - no more vibes :)

Profile E-mail  

Vibrating RF
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:09 pm 

---------
fastfitter wrote:
I used to suffer a bit from the vibes on the 900 if sat on the motorway at 6000 revs (90mph). Since fitting the risers and straights this has disappeared completely despite the new set-up only having kiddy light-weight bar-end weights (in purple of course) just to block the ends of the bars off.

I was coming home tonight and noted that my bike was only doing 85 mph at 6000 rpm. Are you running different sprockets?.
When I go back to work tomorrow I will double check. I have on my (very long) to do list to change the gearing when I change the chain and sprockets so as to lower the revs at any given speed.