It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:15 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The Morning After.....and riding/driving
 Post subject: The Morning After.....and riding/driving
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:03 am 
Site Admin

Location: Kingswood - South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)
Not wishing to be a Kill joy but with the RFOC meet coming up and summer evenings, barbecues etc I think we need to watch out the time between drinking and riding.

Found this good site to maybe offer some idea of when it is safe to drive/ride after drinking

Don't risk losing your licence or even worse, yours or others lives!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Morning After.....and riding/driving
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:30 am 

very good info Derek. I wonder how many people consider about how much they had to drink the night before when they go out the next day.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:35 am 

thats why iam waiting until this afty to go out
even tho iam itching to get out now on the empty roads

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:26 pm 

IF IN ANY DOUBT DONT DRIVE OR RIDE.
When I was a serving rozzer I had no bones about nicking drink drivers.
I viewed it as a preventative measure, I.e, how much further would they have got before ruining someone else's life?
All those 'law abiding' people who gave a positive specimen were absolutley gutted.
If you could see their faces, they all had the same look,
"oh f**k, there goes my whole life down the toilet"
DON'T RISK IT PEOPLE.

Jelly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:24 pm 

i totally agree the limit is 0% for me if i have had a drink thats it bike stays in the shed and car stays on the hard standing .
i always ask lisa if i have anything i have to do b4 i reach for the bottle (real ale ) not spirits
if she says we need shopping or so on thats it bottle stays there till my return.....
in 1996 i had my own business repairing older bikes the sort of stuff bike shops wouldnt touch .
mainly because the people who owned them couldn't afford to pay shop labour i was raking it in charging £10 an hour to normal public and £15 pound to bike schools fleet work as you will . bringing in a total of £5900 a month once the suppliers had been paid . tyres. oils . plugs .batts ... you know the consumables i cleared £5,300 .
one night i went out and was on my 4th bottle of newcastle brown and the landlord told me to put my bike in the private area of the pub and collect it in the morning .
well as i went out to move the bike i took off the steering lock and turned it round in the road and started pushing .... thats when the **** hit the fan ............
two police men sitting in the ka*asaki motorcycle shop carpark walked over and ask me to stop and i did they then ask the usual and i said yes 4 bottles of newcastle brown ..... straight to red .
well a ban was handed out to me on the 26 may 1996
nearly a year after passing my test .(15 month ban £240 fine and 0 points )
i went and told the owner of the bike training school and he said it just stops me from road testing (he had a big pad for cbt and bike testing out the back of his house ..)
went home told my parents now this is the kicker . on the 7th of june 1971 my dad was nearly killed by a drunk driver he was on ( only a few will remember the h*nda ss125 supersport twin on a G plate )
that stopped my mum from letting me near bikes .
shes been on the back of me since so im not that bad
anyway i dont touch the beer if im going out IT AINT WORTH IT

Russ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:12 pm 

I detest 2 things on the road, drink driving and mobile phone users.

I wont drive / ride the morning after drinking heavily, quite often i wont go out the whole day after, so in Scarborough I will be taking it very steady but I also scheduled the rides to start after 11 so everyone can have about 12 hours and a decent breakfast to recover..

I have seen the consequences of drink driving too often, and am a stong supporter of a zero tolerance law, it is impossible to make the alcohol level zero as some people do have alcohol in their system naturally, plus many mouth wash or cough medicines contain alcohol.. but it should be low enough that even 1 pint puts you over the limit as there is too much confusion nowadays.

Last year I was at a party and the host was a traffic cop, during the evening mates on duty called and one of them breathalised some of us, as a bit of a laugh.

I had drunk 8 tins of bitter and half a bottle of red wine and passed, yes passed the test.. it showed amber but i was legal to drive... i can honestly say i was in no way fit to drive and wouldnt have dreamt of doing so but it outlined to me the ridiculous current law..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:25 pm 

i agree completely, people often wonder why i havent drank a drop in over 3 months, its because i ride my bike on a daily basis as early as 7.30 am so i wont drink the night before anyways.

Will not touch a drop if i know i'm going near the bike the next day.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:59 pm 

Russell has demonstrated that you dont have to be driving/riding to get nicked.
Technically you have to be 'in control of the steering and propulsion' to be driving/riding. It does not have to be running as the brakes are classed as propulsion(yeah I never understood that either, I thought propulsion meant go not stop!)
If you push a mototrbike without straddling the saddle then you are not riding it.
I suspect that Russell got nicked for Sect 4 of the Road Traffic Act, 'drunk in charge of a motor vehicle'.
I found a young northern lad asleep in the front seat of his car outside a rural pub with the engine running, bang to rights and a guaranteed 1 year ban......I didnt nick him cause I were'nt that sort of anal jobs worth copper, told him to switch it off and get in the back before a Traffic patrol found him.
In my opnion it wasnt all about nicking, unfortunately my superiors didnt see it that way as they had to answer to the Home Office who were always bombarding the Police with Stats and figures recording, Blah...Blah...Blah.
If you want a good massage then call yourself a Crime Report and go to your local nick!!!

Oh Bradlad! dont get me started on mobile phones whilst driving, my fave ticket to give out, and if they got chopsy and denied what I had seen with my own eyes then I'd seize their phone for evidence, they liked that one, not.

I once had a good skinfull in the Police bar on a social do, the wife was driving me home and I had about 8 pints and a couple of shorts.
I felt drunk and out of curiosity I went to my locker and got my breathbox out and breathalyzed myself and got a warning! (yellow light).
There is a way to nick someone on a warning but I'm not going to divulge that in case any unscrupulous people read this and try to avoid/negate/get around it.

Jelly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:01 pm 

Jelly . Yes my charge was drunk in charge of the motorcycle and the rest is in the post .
I never did it again i do admit i was fuming to say the least but a lot of good come from it
i freely admit what happened and try to tell people .
im well known in peterborough as with a surname like Uff its not forgotten like smith /jones or the other types of surnames you hear .
and some times it helps .
going off thread i have an SIA frontline badge .. Jelly will know what that is and how many hoops you need to jump through to be awarded it
and i tell people if i was that bad do you think i would have got the badge ? and i wont have to do jury service again either ....

sorry for going off thread

Regards Russell

i normally drive / ride with a cam corder on my bike sometimes its for fun but normally its to show how many to$$erS still use their moble phones and if one ever knocked me off god help them cause that will be the next person they would see

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:42 pm 

---------
Excuse my ignorance Russ, SIA?? never heard of it.

Jelly.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next