It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:37 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Suzuki build quality
 Post subject: Re: Suzuki build quality
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:20 pm 

I've owned three Suzuki's so here goes & generally do pamper them as much as I can (however saying that mine does need a good wash today)..............

1999 Bandit 600S

Horrific build quality - flaky engine paint was the biggest woe - it looked like a bag of spanners after it got wet the first time out of the showroom. The paint on the tank bubbled and cracked in a few places.

The frame started to get rusty in places & the whole bike looked very old very quickly. Considering I bought it after it had done only 5000 miles it looked very quickly like it had done ten times that. Other niggly things such as the instrument mountings were flmisy and the lack of detail just made me feel the bike was really cheap and nasty. Having said that to ride it was a right hoot !
(please don't flame me any bandit owners I just didn't get on with mine)

1991 Suzuki GSXR400

Now this had great build quality. I bought it in December 2007 and ok it wasn't mint but the bike didnt look almost 17 years old. The paint and finish was much better than my bandit and not rust in the usual places. The whole thing just felt like a quality machine and that it was built to last. I ran it up until April 2008 doing over 1,000 miles a month in rain, sun and snow. It never missed a beat and still looked great when I sold it for the RF (prime reason being I needed a better long distance machine the Mrs could fit on in comfort). It obviously wasn't a UK bike - so perhaps they build them better for the home market?

1998 Suzuki RF600

Little bit of surface rust around the headstock but other than that she's in fine looking fettle (when she's had a wash).
My main complaint on this one is the fairing bolts are made of cheese and I do need to replace them with stainless steel items (if I can get the originals out that is !)
THe paint on the tail unit has faded badly but this could have been prevented if the previous owner had have looked after it (it looks like they've left it under a sunbed).

Suzuki build quality
 Post subject: Re: Suzuki build quality
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:29 pm 

---------
My RF9 spent its first three years doing just dry miles, then I got it. So since 1997 it has lived outside and done almost 40K. I've parked it under a car as well as dropped it a few times. I think the build quality is actually quite good, considering the abuse and lack of care its had (and gets).
I got rounds the forks problem by having them hard chromed no more rust. The main things that are going on it are the subframe paint has pretty much rusted off, the rear bodywork is getting a bit brittle - especially when it comes to lugs and stuff, and the paint on the frame is fading badly. The tank is also starting to show its age. The rest of the bodywork is fine (It had a respray when I stacked it and almost ten years on the paintwork is really good and hasn't faded so can recommend:
Plastec
Burghfield Bridge
Burghfield
Reading
Berkshire
RG30 3XN

Tel: 0118-957-4577

They colour matched all the bodywork to the pillion grab rail and also rebuilt the little side vents!!)
Apart from every day stuff its never let me down. The most reliable bike I've ever had!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2