It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:42 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Suzuki build quality
 Post subject: Suzuki build quality
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:44 pm 

Ok, I have had an email from "Emma Franklin" of Ride! magazine, she is doing a feature on Suzuki build quality, or lack of it.. anyway I replied and it got me thinking..

I actually think the RF is quite good, the forks are made of cheese but apart from that I havn't had a problem.

What is your experience? not just with the RF but any suzuki or even another make?

Suzuki build quality
 Post subject: Re: Suzuki build quality
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:38 pm 

had a 1200 bandit on a 56reg in may this year as a loan bike when the rf9 was wrote off!! it had done only 4500miles and was showing signs of ware & corrosion, always found h*nda to be the best(cars and bikes) suzuki,and kwak in the middle and yam at the back, i did work at a bike dealer for a few years and this seemed to be the trend, my 30yr old suzuki gs425 has never been restored and gets used quite offten so i guess that is good testement to suzuki build quality/? i have to say my 1999 rf9 isnt to bad either

Suzuki build quality
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Kingswood - South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)
Don't ask AndyD or myself right now - the day before the swop all hell has broken loose.

Poor Andy appears to have had a major problem with his (so he thinks), and mine cost me a grand total of £250 now to have the chain and sprocket done, more than we had planned due to JHS Racing saying the slave clutch cover was seized (I thought Dave had taken it off when he was here???) and that took an extra HOUR at a rate of £45ph

As if that wasn't enough, I rode the bike back home and there does seem to something wrong with the front??? You all know I'm a rider, the rest loses me but its like the wheel is on ice for a fraction of a second when turning left or right - on the straight its fine. My limited bike tech brain is telling me it could be wheel bearings - but I'm not sure.

I know it's months snce I have ridden this bike and the two RF's are a totally different ride so it might be just my imagination???

Both Andy and myself have been perfectly open with our latest exploits and problems. His has stuck in 2nd gear and from what he has just pm'd me after taking it to the mechanic saying although he hasnt looked at it properly he thinks it may be a buggerd clutch or second gear

I certainly can't afford the money I have spent on mine but now I am stuck with it - and I know Andy is worried on similar reasons.

Neither of us knows what to do next and it's a real disappointment to all three of us (Glynis most of all as she was really looking forward to becoming an RF600 owner.

Profile E-mail  

Suzuki build quality
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:26 pm 

Im sorry to hear that Derek, well andy too.

I would check your head bearings are tight enough.. And im not saying the shop loosened them or anything libelous like that but they may need tightening.

Suzuki build quality
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

JHS are a very reputable firm - they are fair and genuine. never had any problems with them apart from using the best of everything when they replace it.

head bearings rang a bell mate - just checked and it was listed as an advisory on this years MOT - I dont even remember reading it - but as soon as you said that, I had to look see.

Is that a major job - I dont mean for me cos I aint touching it!!

Profile E-mail  

Suzuki build quality
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:35 pm 

yes and no, its a big job as it involves removing the front end, however anyone who knows what they are doing can do it within a couple of hours.

I am changing mine when i do the winter service.

Suzuki build quality
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:12 pm 

Hell is easy compared to today!! I went to load the bike onto a trailer to take down to bristol for a swap with Dracs 900.(As explained above)
When I took it for a quick spin just to check all was well before the swap it went into second and would not come out!! Try as I might it is stuck in Second. I am much like drac and dont know much about them but noise and no gear change is usually a sign of a problem requiring more than a screwdriver!!

I am Gutted as its gonna cost and also drac has had to spend more than he thought getting his ready and now it seems as above to have bearing probs!!

This has not put me off the RF but I am totally frustrated and hacked off as I had my heart set on a swap for a 9. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Suzuki build quality
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:28 pm 

on the subject of build quality - my 28000 miles from new TL1000S looked as good as new when i sold it 4 years later. A mate who bought a new H***A VFR800 3 months before had to replace the rusty fairing screws (with Suzuki stainless items) and the exhaust collector box after 3 years. And again, after another 2 years. The TL's OEM pipes were stainless. My 1999 'Busa also scrubbed up like new. The biggest failing, IMHO, is Suzuki paint. Or rather, the lack of paint - rubs through too easy.
on the subject of Drac's chain & sprockets - did the £250 include the chain & sprocket kit?

Garry.

Suzuki build quality
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:35 pm 

Drac wrote:
Don't ask AndyD or myself right now - the day before the swop all hell has broken loose.

Poor Andy appears to have had a major problem with his (so he thinks), and mine cost me a grand total of £250 now to have the chain and sprocket done, more than we had planned due to JHS Racing saying the slave clutch cover was seized (I thought Dave had taken it off when he was here???) and that took an extra HOUR at a rate of £45ph

As if that wasn't enough, I rode the bike back home and there does seem to something wrong with the front??? You all know I'm a rider, the rest loses me but its like the wheel is on ice for a fraction of a second when turning left or right - on the straight its fine. My limited bike tech brain is telling me it could be wheel bearings - but I'm not sure.

I know it's months snce I have ridden this bike and the two RF's are a totally different ride so it might be just my imagination???

Both Andy and myself have been perfectly open with our latest exploits and problems. His has stuck in 2nd gear and from what he has just pm'd me after taking it to the mechanic saying although he hasnt looked at it properly he thinks it may be a buggerd clutch or second gear

I certainly can't afford the money I have spent on mine but now I am stuck with it - and I know Andy is worried on similar reasons.

Neither of us knows what to do next and it's a real disappointment to all three of us (Glynis most of all as she was really looking forward to becoming an RF600 owner.

That could be as simple as the rear wheel is not back in the frame dead right hence giving the feel that the fronts out. If I'm out on the bandit it does the same thing, makes the front feel like its falling over one side and picking itself up the other.

Old wobbler

Suzuki build quality
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

---------
I think Bradlads got it right - its on the advisory section of the last MOT - I just forgot it was there

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next