It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:25 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
Stripping forks.
 Post subject: Stripping forks.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:55 pm 

I stripped my forks today to renew the seals and tidy the bottom tubes up.. heres the first pics and how to do it..

Clamp the stantions in a vice or the like ( in wooden blocks to protect them ) then usng a 17mm socket unscrew the tops of the forks, they are not very tight but be ready for the oil to come out.

now clamp the fork around the base tube, using an allen key with the short end through the axle hole and a long bar on the end, undo the bottom bolt:

When the bottom bolt is out, prize the dust seal out and remove the oil seal retaining clip:

making sure the fork bottom is well secured use the stantion as a slide hammer, to pull the oil seal out.. it will probably need some force but will come out eventually:

Clean the seal seats, make sure the guides look ok then refit the opposite way to above.

Dont forget to measure your springs, the minimum length is 304mm, mine are 315 to give you an idea, any shorter than 304 and they need changing as they have compressed.

According to the manual it takes 454ml of oil, It specifies 5-40 oil but my local place does racing 10-40 for a tenner a litre so i thought i would use that to firm them up a bit.

Stripping forks.
 Post subject: Re: Stripping forks.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:58 pm 

Absolutley fantastic, Well done Bradlad.

Stripping forks.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:29 pm 

Nice one mate.

And don't forget to put the new seals in the right way up - springy side to the oil ;)

I use ATF in my forks as I was told years ago it doesn't froth up - if you ride alongside another bike for a while you'll be surprised how much the suspension moves so naturally the oil gets sloshed about and warms up a bit.

How did you find the other fork legs Neil apart from the settings?

Profile E-mail  

Stripping forks.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:41 pm 

The ones I have used this year have been fantastic, the extra rebound adjustment makes a difference.

I found them stiffer than normal, which is how i like them anyway.. i only needed them on setting 2..

If I get a chance of some cheap ones with the extra adjustment i would go for them, deffinately.

Stripping forks.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:47 pm 

Yep, I favour a stiffer front end myself phnaaar phnaaar :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Stripping forks.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:10 pm 

Can someone help me to figure out why I can't see the pictures? Is there something I can do? I see a small box with the red x in it. help

Stripping forks.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:25 pm 

Try refreshing a few times, if that doesnt work right click the pic box and then click " show picture ", if that doesnt work..

I have no idea m8.. :?:

Stripping forks.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Kingswood - South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)
What he says!!!!

Profile E-mail  

Stripping forks.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:36 pm 

---------
that clutchless rf engine in the background looks familiar, note the pink bolts that might give ppl a hint as to whos it is.....

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]