It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:19 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Revs X Speed
 Post subject: Revs X Speed
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:40 pm 

The other night fastfitter posted that his bike is doing 90 mph ant 6000 rpm. I have checked my bike and I am only doing 85 mph at 6000 rpm.

Please can you all that are riding frequently check you bikes as to revs X speed and iff you know, what are your sprocket sizes.
I wish to know this so I know when I need to change my sprocks I get the best ones.

Thanks all in advance.

Revs X Speed
 Post subject: Re: Revs X Speed
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:01 pm 

Forgot to answer on the other thread dave, sorry.

Sprockets are standard teeth but I went down to a 530 chain (and sprocks of course) instead of 532 and tyres are standard sizes.

Profile E-mail  

Revs X Speed
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:17 pm 

It looks like the previous owner has dropped a tooth on my bike. Think I will have to count the teeth on rear sprock.
My bike has a 180 section rear tyre not 170 as standard. How much different could this make. I think this might be for Bradlad or Old Wobbler.
I'll nip out now and try and find several friends as I only have 10 fingers. it's tooooooooooo cold to get me toeseses out :lol:

Revs X Speed
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:22 pm 

Tyre width makes no difference m8, its diameter that affects rotational distance.

standard is 15 tooth front 43 rear, if you have a look at yours it will be stamped on how many it has.

Revs X Speed
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:42 pm 

HI m8
6000 revs on my bike = 100MPH.. 9000 revs=145MPH
I have 17 tooth front sprocket and 43 rear with standard suzuki chain and standard size tyres..Hope this helps.

Revs X Speed
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:57 pm 

Thanks Bradlad. my sprock was too dirty to see. I counted 43 so that is standard.

Hughie, Is the chain not fowling on the casings, that is quite an increase in size.
How does your bike pull away from stand still and what is it like in town / heavy traffic.?

Revs X Speed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:24 am 

Hi DG
The front sprocket is the size of a dustbin lid but it dose not fowl anything.
AS for town driving/pulling away its mutch better as you do not need to hit second gear so quickley.plus the bike seems smoother with less vibration.I still go for 6th gear but as yet NO joy in finding it .....

YOU can have a ride on it at Scarborough and see what you think...

Revs X Speed
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:14 am 

Hi Hughie, Thanks for that and the offer of a test ride. I will be changing my chain and sprocks prior to that and was going to go up one tooth. I probaly will go the whole hog and go for seventeen. The accelleration far exceeds my needs so that is not a problem. Anything to drop the revs and improve mpg.

Revs X Speed
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:32 pm 

Hi DG.
The report i read before fitting my sprocket said 50- 55 mpg could be obtained under normal conditions.....But what is NORMAL.??? I never work out my MPG.
YOU can let me know...

Revs X Speed
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:40 pm 

---------
Hi Hughie, I worked out my mpg during the week and with my gearing it came out
as 49.6 and 51 mpg. The warning light came on at 146 miles on the 49.6 but I had
done 161 miles with no light on on the 51 mpg. For reference to everyone , I generaly
put in 16 litres with light on for 8 miles which is the norm for me. I generaly only travel
between 70-80 mph with short bursts upto 90-100 to get clear of dangerous looking wallies.