It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:30 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

repair to damaged fairing (top screen mount)
 Post subject: repair to damaged fairing (top screen mount)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:04 pm 

By now some of you will know i done some damage to my back and shoulder the other day
it was done by not letting go of my RF when she toppled away from me i took the full weight of the bike and it hurts

i did however damage the top mount where the screen is held just past the mirrors on the RHS.the RHS mid fairing where the 900 decal is and the first ring of the exhaust has a small area the size of a silver thruppeny bit
i scratched and scared the screen strip / edging . what ever you want to call it its the red stuff . task has some on his screen too

ok what i did was this i removed the infill panel on the RHS top 3x phillips screws and found the part well i could have got a better job done by jess the grandaughter (4) it was held by 4 if you can call them heat spot welds ..
well i nipped out next to me at screw fix ( open sundays ) and bought some evostick plastic pipe cement if i had been at work i could have got the little blob i needed as we have it in stock .
well a quick photo session to show the crap ness of the weld ( theirs not mine ) and rubbed down both parts to get a key and i wiped a bit on both parts and put together .... oh yes 90 seconds later solid

this stuff is actually advertised as being specially for ABS plastics

Post subject: Re: repair to damaged fairing (top screen mount)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:41 am 

:? Plastic Pipeweld Dos'nt work as I found out.

But I found that using This

Did the trick nice,
I have tried Super Glue it dont work well at all, but this industial stuff dose work, I repaired my farings and the mixture will fill holes in the plastics which can be sanded down to a good finish, and its QUICK very QUICK...

be carefull how and where you use it it is very viscous and gets everywhere , dont do it indoors like i did lol

hope the injurys heal up ok

Good Luck

Post subject: Re: repair to damaged fairing (top screen mount)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:45 am 

---------
:!: oh and HALFORDS and MOTORSAVE have loads of Repair Glue for all sorts of things now, worth a look in if your passing.