It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:35 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
rear shoks
 Post subject: rear shoks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:25 pm 

hi all,
i think the time has come to junk my rear shock, my mate was following me and his first question after we stopped was how do you hang onto that jackhammer??? didn't realise it was so bad until i tried to follow his Ohlins prep'd VFR800 and nearly landed in a hedge (bummer!!) , me rear is a bit lively or for kevin shwantz (remember him!) said it gets a bit squirely, anyway heres the point what's the best route to go,

i can't afford the yellow magic or WP or Nitron etc

now for the advice bit, i know a rebuild is out of the question as i have been told by loads of people that all a lot do it check them, clean them up send them back and charge £100

i have seen a frim called YSS that do a shock for `£90 anyone got one are they anygood????

does anyone know the hole centre length of the rear shock

has anyone fitted any thing from another bike, i know the bandit series fits, but they are pretty much the same thing, i wanted something with adjustment

HHHHHEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP

PS went on the Robin Hood Charity easter egg run today weathar was brilliant and spoke with a fellow RF 6 owner who was NOT part of the club, i informed him of said club and hopefully he will join forthwith, if not whatever god like creature looks after us RF owners will strike him down, and subject him to a life of car ownership.........

rear shoks
 Post subject: Re: rear shoks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:47 pm 

---------
GSX-R 600 rear shocks fit and give you preload, rebound and compression adjustment.
If you retain the standard dog-bones, it will raise the rear a tad, but that's no bad thing for an RF. Saves buying and fitting shorter links!
Mine is a off either a K1 or K2 ( can't remember) - they usually go for pennies on t'evilbay.
You have to "dress" the bottom of the shock body with a file to stop it fouling the bellcrank on full extension, and the fuel pump won't fit on it's bracket due to the gas cylinder (I've tie-wrapped mine).
The dog-bones have to spaced out approx 5mm each side (I used spherical bearing mis-alignment washers), on each mounting, to clear the spring, so you will need longer bolts too. A good excuse for greasing everything!
Then set-to with the screwdriver and revel in the ability to totally screw-up your suspension settings!

HTH
Garry

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]