It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:51 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Plonker
 Post subject: Re: Plonker
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:57 pm 

We all agree, me included that the biker got rough justice and we all can give examples of other road users committing more serious offences and getting lenient sentences. We just have to accept we/bikers are an easy target for the judicial system, media and the narrow minded.

Plonker
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:54 pm 

I do blame modern cars and bikes to a certain extent.I drive lots of very nice cars at work,and its just SOO easy,refined,quiet and comfortable,until you realise you are going at a speed that would get you jailed,bikes the same.Ride an old X7 on 1970's tyres at 100MPH and you have to be very good to keep the thing on the road, I drive a 25 year old Fiat every day, and it slips slides and needs to be driven,and 60 MPH on an A road is good fun, whereas a Subaru doesn't start to entertain until you are well into 3 figures. People feel so insulated and isolated that they don't need to be involved in the process so much now, which leads to inattention and accidents,even though the 18 airbags will probably mean they walk away.

ABS, EBD,TC,ASC.. all doing the job for the driver, and its coming to bikes too..

Plonker
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:07 pm 

Right then , it seems to be only me that thinks the guy was a plonker!! :lol:
I totally disagree with the sentence and after looking at other cases where people have lost thier lives now think its appaling actually.I believe that he was done and ridiculed in the press because he is on a bike.
That though does not take away from the fact he is a plonker for driving at that speed with a pillion (any pillion) in rain on any road.He may be the safest driver in the world ,but its a big risk to take in those conditions,other cars and road users (Bikers included )are put at risk and in my opinion that makes him a plonker.If your gonna risk your own life on a bike then thats your choice (I have and no doubt will again)but dont fu*k with others.
Rant over :twisted:

Plonker
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Kingswood - South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)
Andy mate, I understand what you are saying at the end of that last post but you were not there and the road conditions might not been quite as bad as it reads.

The bloke doesn't look an idiot and I am sure he felt totally in control. I rode all the way from Blackpool back home, a few years ago, with Emerald on the back at average speed of just under 110mph and honestly, though I was in the overtaking lane most of the way, I was by no means alone there.

At no time did I think 'God this is fast' it was just a speed I felt comfortable and safe at, at the time.

I always ;eave a good space between myself and the guy/woman in front and never ride up someones backside.

I think when you see the sights at the end, that you obviously do, I understand your concern and reaction.

Profile E-mail  

Plonker
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:41 pm 

I think seeing it from Andy's side he probably spends far more time than he would like to cutting bodies out of mangled wrecks.. some of them I have seen make undertakers feel queazy...

I however do believe the evidence is wrong if that video is the evidence.. if you count the time it takes him to pass the white lines I get him at about 80mph, so he either slowed or the lazer isnt bike approved..

Plonker
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:49 pm 

Andy, I agree with you, he was a plonker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

BUT - put in context of other sentences for other crimes we witness, maybe the judge was a touch harsh!

:mrgreen:

Plonker
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:25 am 

Thanks for all the opinions and replys guys/gals. Atleast it gave us somthing to talk about!

Plonker
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:47 am 
Site Admin

Location: Kingswood - South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)
Yep - and can I congratulate everyone on having varied opinions and yet.....unlike many other forums, no arguing.

At the end of the day, everyone has opinions and the right to express them without being slagged off.

Thank you for showing this forum IS mature enough to do this.

Image Image Image

Profile E-mail  

Plonker
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:07 pm 

Quote:
Thank you for showing this forum IS mature enough to do this.

you're saying this with ME lurking around the forums??? hahahaha well i'm mature in some respects i guess.....

Plonker
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:46 pm 

---------
just read people opinions on this and i think its great that everyone gets a say and no one slags anyone else off, everyone is entitled to their own opinion

i would like to point out the following though, i am sick and tired of these pink and fluffly groups making speeding the route to all evil, they never seem to mention bad driving, whats worse doing 100mph on a bike or doing 55mph on the motorway, programming a sat nav and having a phone between shoulder and ear in a 2 tonne range rover like i saw the other day the car swerved between two lanes on the M1 and the driver was oblivious, that i was behind/to the side of him, but unless the cops see this no camera will pick it up, when i spoke to a friend of mine who is a traffic cop (a nice one) he said unfortunately speeders are easy, they are caught on film its evidential and an easy prosecution, if you were over the limit you were speeding job done. tick the box move on and the senior management can crow about road safety and helping the public, the guy in the range rover would go to court, taking up time and resources CPS would make them do hours of paperwork and most likely drop it if it was contested, result too much of a pain in the arse to not get a result.

also how can robbers and burglars not get custodials and this guys is villanised, guess it was because he doesn't stand there blaming society for his problems, its everyone else's fault they have a crack addiction/got his underage girlfriend pregnant have no money/had a bad child hood, just shows that if you get caught you might as well lie and try every rotten trick in the book to get off it, because it won't make a difference to the sentence and you might just walk away with it. why is it we live in a society that will happily rant and rave about discrimination being unacceptable all around the world but this kind of thing goes on, adds weight tot eh fact if you are a biker its pretty much okay to do whatever you like to us.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2