It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:18 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Plonker
 Post subject: Plonker
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:41 am 

Take a look at this plonker!!I am no prude and like a bit of a blast myself at around the same speed if its safe but to do it with your 14 year old son on the back in the rain !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thoughts?

Plonker
 Post subject: Re: Plonker
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:56 am 

Yeah, Seen it on the news tonight. Obviously didnt like his kid that much??

Plonker
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:55 am 

Loads of opinions on this,bike forum threads are going crazy.

I've got an RF..and 3 kids,who sometimes go on the back. (not all at once..now that would be stupid!) BUT I'm not a believer in speed kills,speed is public enemy no1 etc. I've ridden and driven in Germany many times,and have come to the conclusion that it is the standard of driving/riding that is the No1 factor in road safety.I would have no qualms about riding at 120+ with my kid on the back,but as long as I could do it safely and trust other road users to be aware and alert of my presence. Dropping speeds doesn't make the roads safer, just lowers the chances of SERIOUS accidents.

I know I'll probably get shot to hell by having this opinion,but, in my case anyway higher speeds = more concentration and more awareness. I reckon I'm safer at 120 with 100% concentration than at 50,fiddling with my tripmeter. Conditions should always be taken into consideration and speeds adjusted accordingly.30 mph in fog can be far too fast, 70 mph on a dry empty motorway is too slow.

I know there has to be limits,and believe this guy should be punished for this, but a custodial sentence is too much, and opens a whole new chapter..I won't say where or when but I've done it many times, and probably all of you have too.Will it change your riding? And as was said on the other forums, the legal requirement for a pillion is a helmet, ability to reach the footpegs,and to hold on,so if his sentence was harsher because of the boy on the back,then it cannot really be upheld?

*stands up and puts on flak jacket* :o

Plonker
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:46 am 

I understand and agree that the courts did him for 122mph, however having just watched the video half a dozen times I am not convinced he was actually going that fast, I base this on the apparent angle of lean through the corner, lack of significant breaking and the fact that the cross hair of the speed gun goes from the right fairing lower to the nearside rear indicator and is also interupted by passing cars.

I have personally seen this type of equipment prove a lampost is doing 30mph. I think had he challenged this instead of pleading guilty then he would have gotten away with it but he did the 'it's a fair cop guv' instead.

as for the judges comments on the lack of protective trousers and gloves, does he honestly think they would increase the lads survival chances in the event of a crash at that speed?

and at the end of the day not one person was killed/injured/or felt endangered.

this puts thing in perspective I think:

Plonker
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:24 am 

I agree with tiff and Copycat - maybe this "A company director" had something to do with her avoiding prison for something she did do while the bloke went down for something that might have happened.

Profile E-mail  

Plonker
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:30 am 
Site Admin

Location: Kingswood - South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)
been there - done that - with my grandsons on the back. Always felt safe at the time. I don't race everwhere but if "the time is right" the throttle gets twisted. It sounds bad when you say its in a 60mph limit but most country lanes are 60mph - hiow many of you look at your speedo when on them.

Listened to Andrew Marr yesterday (hate the show but knew this was on) a biker journalist and some twat of a woman who admits she doesn't even drive - when asked by the journo of shes ever sat on a bike it went summat like this..........

"Yes"

"what bike and when?"

"I can't remember - It was small"

"was it a moped or a bike"

"probably a moped...and I was on the back"

"well excuse me love, but that isn't a motorbike"

"don't you call me love"

and iot went downhiill from there

It does seem to be that the people who moan the loudest are ones who mommy coddle their kids to a hyper extent and have no ambitions to drive or ride.

And it also depends on "how the cops feel at the time" - Had a mate on a GSXR who was doing 112mph on M4, he got pulled, copper admired his bike, more or less said "you silly boy - take it easy" and let him go.

Two years ago we had two new riders appear in the group I was with and I led from Chesptow to OK DIner at Leominster - A466 and A49 - at speeds of up to 120mph on these 60 and 70mph limit roads. When we stopped at OK Diner, one came up to me and said "bloody fantastic roads" - sat down for coffee - it tunred out he was (and still is) an Inspector and the mate was another copper.

Another mate of mine was also a copper and led rideouts at the biggest bike showroom in Bristol about 7 years ago - His rides not only taught you skill in road handling, reading, planning (just by following him) but also how to handle speed.

The laws of this country once again, in my opinion, have proved to be ridiculous and unjust - jailed for riding a bike fast and yet thives and crims get off without jail sentences all too often

As for reading Copy Cats link - that just shows how unjust and downright stupid our legal system is

Profile E-mail  

Plonker
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:17 am 

I've watched the video on TV last night of the 'caught on camera' act and the way the bike went around the corner seemed that he wasn't going as fast as 122mph. In wet conditions, there wasn't huge amounts of spray and the kack of grip would mean a lesser of a lean.

In regards to the cars coming the other direction if it was on a main road I would have said he was doing on or just over the speed limit say 60-70mph not 122 as the machine recorded.

As for the press and whats said in court.....

Old wobbler

Plonker
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:27 am 

I agree with all the above, the sentance the guy recieved is obscene and frankly discriminatory against bikers.

Lord Ahmed of Rotherham was sentanced to 6 weeks, yes WEEKS in prison a few days ago for KILLING somone on the M1, he had been using his phone and was sending texts.. but guess what? he was only doing 60mph so was deemed to have not been driving carelessly..

The biker was locked up for something that could have happened, in that case I await my door being kicked in, as I could very easily buy a decent rifle and finish what Guy Fawkes started..

The speed nazis are taking over the roads, they are taking the onus away from the ****heads and putting it onto the able riders/ drivers. Just look at the number of kids who saunter across the road, they believe that the car WILL stop, cos it has to.. and cos the car is only doing 30mph they wont get hurt anyway...

When I was a kid every second advert was Tufty or the Green Cross Code man, I knew that if i got hit by a car, it would hurt ( and it did, but thats another story ) yet now the adverts aim at the driver, making out that at 30mph little flossie will skip home to mummy with cutesy music playing along with her, yet if the car hits her at 31 mph she will disintegrate into componant atoms, along with half the street..

I have seen children killed at speeds as low as 15mph, and walk away from impacts of more than 40 mph, I have seen car drivers killed at 25 mph, yet bikers walk away from 150mph crashes.

The sooner people realise that its not speed that kills, its p*ss poor driving / riding that does, the better things will be.

Plonker
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:45 am 

The standard for road craft has gone down in the last 20 years, thats for sure. There's far to many vehicles on the road in incompetant hands.

I'm not saying that I am the best driver/rider in the world however the world is now becoming full of people aiming a vehcile at a gap and going. Thats not driving, feeling the road and vehcile, knwoing when to change gear and seeing whats a suitable place to over take or reading the road infront so as to keep moving and avoiding all the danagers.

If you have a bump then sue the arse of the other party seems to be the view nowadays.

Old wobbler

Plonker
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:46 pm 

---------
Well I agree with most of the sentiment gone before!

I am a believer that there is no such thing as a motoring accident. IT will normally be attributed to bad driving, lack of concentration, lack of ability for the situation, arrogance.

Speed on its own does not kill................... but speed coupled with one of the above may!!!!

A for instance!!

Which is more dangerous and more likely to attract the attention of the police!

1/ A professional driver with no alcohol or drugs in system, fully awake and concentrating, travalling at 110mph on a deserted motorway, in a fully serviced porsche 996.

2/ A 90 year old poor sighted person, in a Morris marina with slightly faulty brakes, one balding tyre, travalling in rush hour motorway traffic, at 69 mph.

I konw this is extreme but quite honestly there are so many other factors that need looking into, like drunk driving, drug induced drivers, no insurance or mot, lack of a licience etc etc.

Its the quick fix, of easy figures to massage, allowing the powers that be to justify there overspending in the wrong directons.

I am a supporter of the Police, and feel they do in the main a good job. Unfortunately, they have had there option on descretion taken away from them. Having there vehicles fitted with cameras makes them jittery about being lenient just in case its reveiwed at some point.

I believe this Judge has been harsh. From what I know I believe he has sentanced on what 'could' have happened in stead of what did happen.

Well I might attack someone tomorrow so I suggest you all send round the police now to get me!!!!!

:mrgreen:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next