It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:27 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Newbie with a non starting bike
 Post subject: Newbie with a non starting bike
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:19 pm 

Hi all

I didnt want my first post to be a "help me" post but i am having a bit of a problem with my new 900 :cry:

My bike wont start and i have found that the 10A ignition fuse has blown. I replaced it but it blew again straight away.

I rode my bike to birmingham and back on Sat night with no issues. Sunday morning i fitted a rack and top box and when i came to start the bike sunday afternoon i could not get the bike started. The starter motor is not turning at all, no relays are clicking or anything. I dont know if i knocked a connector when removing/fitting the rear fairing parts??

I was wondering if there is a common-ish issue with the ignition circuit. I found a couple of posts when doing a search on here but nothing that clarifed the issue. My first job will be to check the loom for damage and clean the side stand switch, but after than i am stuck. The battery is good and full of charge. I am wondering if a connector has vibed loose as i found a wire that connected to what looked like the injectors had come loose.

Apart from that i have had a cracking week with my new bike when all was well, and i cant wait to get out on it again.

Thanks

Jon

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Newbie with a non starting bike
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:26 pm 

hi mate welcome aboard!

first off i would say check all the wires around the area you were working in case one of the wires got trapped and the case got split so its shorting out on the frame....also check that the seat isnt pinching any wires......once you have checked the loom report back saying you have sorted it.........or for more advice :mrgreen:

mike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:39 pm 

Hi Jon and welcome!

Dont worry about your first post being a question, thats why we are here. :mrgreen:

I would reccomend checking the wireing around the headstock, where it goes through the frame, its a common fault for it to wear through or break there.

Failing that check for corrosion around the fuse box and the wiring under the battery tray.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Kingswood - South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)
Welcome Jon - as Bradlad says, no problem - thats why we are here to help with problems as well as being a community of bikers. Thanks for searching before asking thats much appreciated. best of luck fining the problem, it cant be much if you had ridden it recently. As others said - check what you have done SINCE it was running ok.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:59 pm 

HI and welcome.

As other have said check the wiring up by the headstock. If all else fails then have a ckeck at the back of the ignition switch. They can corrode out there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:58 pm 

Jon wrote:
Sunday morning i fitted a rack and top box and when i came to start the bike sunday afternoon i could not get the bike started. The starter motor is not turning at all, no relays are clicking or anything. I dont know if i knocked a connector when removing/fitting the rear fairing parts??

Have a butcher's under the right-side plastics, all the relays are under there. If you've got a total electrical blackout then it sounds like the main 30A fuse on top of the starter solenoid has popped - you may have momentarily shorted something while fitting the rack. Make sure none of the mounting bolts have gone through a wire.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:19 pm 

Thanks for all the quick response's and welcomes guys :D
I am about to head off home in a moment and give some of your tips a go. I will let you all know how i get on.

Thanks again

Jon

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:02 pm 

hi there jon and welcome dont forget the chat next to portal at top of page if you require any engine spares let me know as i have a spare one

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:53 pm 

Hi and welcome Jon. the suspect is most likely ( as pointed out in a previous post) round where you were working, did you move the indicators or owt? did you disconnect / reconnect any lights?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:32 pm 

---------
Hi and welcome think like other wires near head stock hope you get it up and running :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next