It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:36 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
Keez's RF600
 Post subject: Keez's RF600
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:19 am 

Ok well I'm sure you all know my story by now, so thought I'd start a wee build up thred, sort of 'this is how I got it, what I've done, and how it is now' story board. Keep everyone up to date on the progress of my bike and where it's headin! This is my Riffer story!

Hi guys, am Kieran from Inverness.

This is my first RF and it's a blue 600. Don't really know much about the RF's TBH so this is all new to me and an experience.

Picked her up for much cheapness needing a little work. So on the ride home I'm trying the front brakes gently, and there's no feedback or feeling at all, and without warning the front locks up and we both end up skidding down the road!! Thankfully only the fairing is damaged, and the rear brake pedal, the front brake lever and barend and mirror's and screen survived, picked her back up and she fired up straight away.

So now on the lookout for a rear brake set-up, and eventually a R/H fairing, good start eh!

Here she is as she lies now in my drive; 1996 RF600 in Kingfisher blue (I think). And I'm pretty sure it's totally standard too, apart from maybe the paint?

Profile E-mail  

Keez's RF600
 Post subject: Re: Keez's RF600
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:31 am 

Well today got my finger out and pulled the front brakes apart. And found the reason for the brakes locking up and the accident. RH Caliper had one seized piston, and the LH Caliper had 2 seized pistons and seized sliders!! Not so good. So I stripped them right down, got the pistons out with the help of the boope at work, and cleaned up the pistons on the wire wheel, along with one of the carriers, as that's all I had time for.

Caliper off with seized piston;

Worn pad to the side;

State of those calipers!!

Cleaned up carrier on the left, wiped one on the right

Cleaned up pistons, well, 3 of them;

And this is where I'm at just now, going to get a new seal kit for the front and rear as the Rear caliper seals are leaking a bit. And some new pads for the front. Reccomendations of where to get either/both?

Fancy painting the calipers as they're already off, any suggetions?!

Also the rear caliper is a Toiko (??) one and I'm not sure if it's standard 600 one?! Front two are Nissin's. Any idea's?

Profile E-mail  

Keez's RF600
 Post subject: Re: Keez's RF600
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:24 am 

---------
a few ideas yes.
first one being replace those pistons.
second the rear brake is correct yes
third the rear brake is a PITA

as for painting them you can get VHT paint or proper caliper paint.

have a look for my thread regarding in rear brakes. i think it has a link to where i got my pistons from.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]