It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:14 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Installing fork seals
 Post subject: Installing fork seals
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:45 pm 

Am tinkering with the bike to get in tip top prior to going to Europe in June. Have never done fork seals on the RF900 before and so having stripped em down, replaced the steering head bearings (Notchy side to side and slack when the bars were straight) while I was there and tidied up the fork lowers. I came to install the new seals. Devils own job, to drive them home. Old bits of plastic tubing that I had from previous bikes to install fork seals were all too small. Tried a cut down sealant tube and used it like a slide hammer to no avail.

Had a look round the garage. Not to be beaten on a Sunday morning when all bike workshops are closed and at 60 pound per hour I don't like using em. Found a bit of gutter down pipe cut to length so that it was longer than the exposed stanchion when pushed right home in the lower leg. Took the pipe cut it once down its length and then used a vice to turn it inside itself. Three jubilee clips to hold it together, Young assistant (eldest daughter), small piece of 4 x 2 and lump hammer. Crescendo pf taps to drive the seal in past the groove for the spring clip. I used a large washer (part of one of the steering head bearings that had exploded) to protect the seal. You might have your own ways to DIY. I won't guarantee it, but this appears to work and saved a trip to the bike shop. Had to take in the steering stem to get the lower bearing of and new one installed (cost a tenner). Didn't have a puller that would get near it. Any ideas for others/future?

I have loaded the pics on the photobucket under Paulo (last pics page 4). The rest are touring pics from 2006 and 2007, just to wet the appetite.

Paul

PS Drac/Bradlad, don't know if you might want to use the pic and add to Bradlads thread on stripping forks. Paul

Profile E-mail  

Installing fork seals
 Post subject: Re: Installing fork seals
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:15 am 

some pretty dramatic pics in the mountains. looks like you were doing dust seals only, i hope they are easyier to get in with the forks apart, waiting in oil and seals for mine.
cheers mate

Profile E-mail  

Installing fork seals
 Post subject: Re: Installing fork seals
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:53 pm 

---------
Shaston,

The dust seals were no issue to get in. The fork seals were a pig just using a bit of tubing as a slide hammer, needed to tap em down with the longer black tube and that was after greasing and freezing em to contract em a bit. Best of luck.

safe biking.

Paul

Profile E-mail