It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:03 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Changing the Dog Bones.
 Post subject: Changing the Dog Bones.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:43 pm 

I put some shorter connecting rods (dog bones) on my 900 this weekend and it was dead easy, so if you fancy raising or lowering your RF heres how to do it..

1. support the bike in the middle, away from the pegs and deffinately not using a paddock stand, as the swingarm needs to be free.

2. remove your can and undo the exhaust mount under the gearbox, so the exhaust has a bit of movement (its only 1/2 an inch but its enough)

3.Unbolt the rear brake master cylinder and move it to one side.

4.with a 17mm socket you can get into the nuts at the top and bottom from the left without a problem, you will need a 17mm spanner on the other end.

5.The top bolt will come out freely with the master cylinder out of the way, the dog bones tend to lock onto the bolt so make sure you tap them to keep them straight and loose.

6.The lower bolt is a bit of a pain, so you ideally need assistance. Somone will need to push down on the exhaust whilst somone taps the bolt through, again the bone will lock onto the bolt so will need tapping to keep it loose.

Reftting is exactly the reverse of the above, but if you are using longer bones to lower the bike you will need a trolley jack or something to lift the rear wheel and swingarm up so the bolts go in.
Remember to stick a bit of grease (LM not copper grease , copper grease is slightly abrasive) into the bush and around the bolt.

As a rough guide, Bandit 1200 bones will lower your bike by about 2", 10mm shorter ones will raise it by about 2".. there are plenty of kits on the market, with ebay being a good source as they tell you the exact difference the kit will make.

Changing the Dog Bones.
 Post subject: Re: Changing the Dog Bones.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:23 pm 

I did this mod to my ZX9 C2 when I had it and it's a good mod Iam sure people will find this useful cheers Bradlad.Broady

Changing the Dog Bones.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:25 pm 

and for all you people who have no help or work alone i have photos of how i did mine by myself
without undoing the exhaust and brake master cylinder
mind you so does neil as i was sending them to him as i was doing mine

Regards Russ

Changing the Dog Bones.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:37 pm 

I lost all those when my other PC packed up m8.. I lost all the manuals, vids and everything.. :evil:

I couldnt get the top bolt out though without removing the master cylinder, how did you do that?

Changing the Dog Bones.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:43 pm 

if you remember neil
my top bolt was bolted through from gearbox to brake side and the nut was brake side all i did was to pull on the dog bone while turning the socket on the bolt head then it slipped out and if you remember i had the wooden block just taking up the weight of the rear end

Regards Russ

Changing the Dog Bones.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:45 pm 

Ah thats how.

My bolt came out brake side, the nut was chain side.

Changing the Dog Bones.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:33 am 

Which ones would you suggest?

Changing the Dog Bones.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:52 pm 

The bandit raising ones will drop the RF Miff, in a quirk of design the RF needs shorter bones to raise the back end so those 40mm bandit ones will probably be that long it will drop the back end onto the tyre..

How much higher do you want it? or do you want it lowering?

This kit will Raise it by about 25mm:

This kit lowers it:

Changing the Dog Bones.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:48 pm 

I thought Bandit dog bones would be a straight swap? I think a raise of around 2" is what I'm after.

Changing the Dog Bones.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:53 pm 

---------
I feel more comfortable with the preload set at position 5 but the ride is too harsh. Normally it's at number 4.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next