It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:33 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

a wandering front end
 Post subject: a wandering front end
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:25 pm 

Hey guys, any chance of help, i have a 96P RF 6, just touching 10k on the clock, wearing conti tyres, which were properly fitted at a garage, running 36/42 psi, i have stripped the front off the bike re greased all the bearings, and put in new fork oil, however, i have a problem, the front seems to wander slightly, by this i mean when going down the road it feels like the front wheel is slightly wobling, not like it is out of balance, but when you start leaning, i dont feel like i have full control over what the front is doing, anyone got any ideas???????, i love the bike in general and have spent hours fixing it up from what it was, but can't seem to sort this out??? PLEASE!

a wandering front end
 Post subject: Re: a wandering front end
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:40 pm 

Few suggestions for you m8.

Is your rear wheel straight? that would cause it as you would constantly be subconciously trying to straighten the steering.

Are both your forks adjusted to the same settings? I know most 600's dont have adjustment but some have preload,make sure the same number of grooves are showing on both.

Are your discs flat? do you get pulsing through your brake lever when u pull it lightly? if the discs are warped that can casue the front to wander.

And finally calipers and pads,make sure your calipers are greased and working properly,if you have new pads in it will take a bit of time for them to wear in and will cause a bit of rubbing.
With the 600 having sliding calipers make sure they are returning ok,maybe a bit of copper grease on the slides.

Head bearings,does there feel to be a notch or "click" when you turn your bars? do they feel very loose or tight? hold your front brake and rock the bike backwards and forwards and see if you can feel a "knock" through the bars.
Worn or loose head bearings can upset the handling.

hope some of the above helps m8.

a wandering front end
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:58 pm 

thanx for the advice,

i think part of the problem is that i have had to do so much work on this to get it right that i am starting to give up, i forgot to mention that i did put new pads in and stripped the calipers as only 1 piston was working!!, which would have made life fun, i have now put about 500k on the new pads, and bleed them about 1 a fortnight, i will try the rear wheel, but this doesn't seem to be coming through the bars, it sounds weird but is like the front wheel is wobbling, i have checked all the bearing and the feel fine

its good to know that they don't all do this before i admit defeat and take it to a garage to get done, last thing i wanted to hear was the old Oh they all do that sir thats character that is!! oh and thats £500 quid for me looking at it (sorry ben told i am a natural born cinic).

a wandering front end
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:00 pm 

Is the wobble at low speed,medium or high? or across the speed range?

a wandering front end
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:12 pm 

its across the range, its not really constant either, when you are cruising at motor way speeds it weaves slightly and when you throttle off the whole bike ties itself in knotts, when you tip it into bends it won't track a constant line, even on a constant throttle, i have been told that i am a smooth rider and certainly dont bang it through the gears or rip the throttle open, but this seems to continue, nothing i adjust, tyre pressures/preload damping seems to make it go away

when you finally get it settled into a bend it is okay but the weave continues

didn't know if it was the tyres, however, had them on a ZX6 i used to have and they seemed fine

now completely ran out of ideas......

i must think of a prize to however, solves this !!!

a wandering front end
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:12 pm 

I should add when i say "is your rear wheel straight?" i dont mean warped,i mean straight on the axle,i.e. parallel to the bike.

Im guessing you have got hold of the front wheel and pulled? no movement or knocking?.

To me its sounding more and more like your head bearings m8,either too loose or worn.

a wandering front end
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:34 pm 

sounds like head bearings to me. did you just grease the bearings or are they new? over tight bearings will make the bike wonder and fell unsteady round corners. the other thing are you sure the tyre as blown on the rim properly. did you fit the tyres?

a wandering front end
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:48 pm 

Cheers guys,
this may keep me sane, the bearings were just greased and not new, so this could be a problem, i have greased the roller bearing that come out when you remove the headstock and the lower ones,, do you know if there are any pressed into the actual frame??, if so is this a dealer job??, and do you know the torque setting for the castelated nut holding the bearing in place under the top yoke, i have the one for the locking nut above the yoke, but not the silver one underneath,

must say the responses are great, wasn't expecting them to be so quick and helpfull.

a wandering front end
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:52 pm 

:D if it's had a small prang it could have put a flat spot on the bearings. might be best to replace them. and no there is no bearings pressed into the head tube just the cups but thease will tap out.

a wandering front end
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:54 pm 

---------
I had a handling problem that turned out to be the head bearings.